Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Today I took at yoga class at my gym. Anyone who knows me is well aware of how I feel about yoga. In the past when I've tried it, I've found that it makes me more anxious and nervous than anything. Downward Dog position is the one I definitely dislike the most (this still holds true after my class today.) However...

Something was different about today's class. Something about it was actually helpful in my attempt to relax and mellow out. Perhaps it was the types of stances we were in, or the specific yoga instructor I had leading the class. Perhaps it was also the fact that today after work on my way to the gym, my goal was to take a class that would allow me to relax. Often times there are different ways in which I need exercise to relax. Sometimes running helps, while other times I need a Bootcamp instructor yelling at me to do more pushups, move faster, do one more rep with the weights I'm using, etc. Whatever the case is, exercise has definitely been a great source of relief, especially during times of feeling stuck.

Last night I saw Ruth for the first time in a few weeks. I told her about how recently it seems that I let things get to me, and it feels like I have no control over it and how it affects my mood. Clearly, this is anything but true. However, the negative feelings and space I sometimes find myself in are overwhelming and I don't always know how to get myself out of the funk I'm feeling. 

Anyway, my experience today was a really positive one. I tried to remain focused on my breathing and maintaining the best stance I could. Also, it helped that during the last 10 minutes of class we basically laid on the floor and meditated. This is something that I KNOW helps me when I do it. 

My point is, when you're feeling stuck, these natural stress relievers can definitely help. Find out what exercise or physical exertion works best for you! Take a boxing class, make it a habit to walk every day, ride your bike or heck, walk your dog! Just do something that allows those endorphins to be released from your brain for a little while so you don't feel so inundated with negativity, sadness, anger, etc. It may not fix the displeasing situation that you're currently in, but at the very least it will give you something to look forward to each day: a time and place where you can physically let out all your feelings of frustration and potentially come out of it in a better mood. If nothing else, you will come out of it feeling neutral, if not better. 

Figure out what it is that YOU need to do to let out that energy and absorb more positive energy into your head. Exercise will help you through this stage in your life. It is believed by many that a healthy body. Do what you need to in order to create balance mentally and physically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share descriptive words, thoughts or anything else.